Sunday, July 27, 2008

The beginning of a Journey




So I am going to Papua new Guinea.

There are roughly 6 million people living on the island, and some 700 Papuan and Melanesian tribes living there. A lot of people have been asking me why on earth I am going there, and how I am going to survive, so here it is.

Upon graduating from college in 2004, I came to a place in my life where I had to make a choice. God had brought me specifically to that school through a series of miraculous events training me in Media Arts for a purpose that I knew nothing of.

Now upon graduating I asked God... "What next?" He had brought me through all of this and I had no idea what I was supposed to do with my life. Should I make my own plans, and pursue a good job, so that I could buy a house, find a wife, and start a family... or did God have something else in mind.

So I remembered a verse in scripture that said: "Trust in the LORD with all your heart; and lean not to your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct your paths."

I thought about the role of a directer in the film industry, and how the same crew with the same resources can still make a bad movie if the director doesn't take charge and give everyone a clear vision of what he wants and how to do it.

So as I thought about this I realized that either this verse was true, and God would direct my paths, or it was a lie, and nothing would happen. So I decided that I would act in complete faith and obedience and see what God would do.

Well he brought me to an Urbana missions conference, and through another serious of miraculous events, he showed me exactly what my calling was, and where I was to go next. It was there that God showed me that I was called to other lands, to record what was going on there so that I could raise awareness of what is happening in the world and rally his people to action.

While I was there he brought two people directly into my path, that would change my life forever. They had no booth set up at the conference, nor had I ever met them before, but God brought them to the exact place where I was standing and I knew instantly that this was exactly where I needed to go. They were creating a Christian television show called "Travel the Road" in California, about two missionaries traveling around the world preaching the gospel to remote tribes. So in faith I contacted them, and for the next 4 years I found myself working in post production completing seasons 2 & 3 of the television show.

Now after all of this I still had the same fire burning inside me to do what God had called me to do, so I asked my boss if there was anything he knew of that I could go do related to my calling.

Well, my bosses dad is a pastor and works in Papua new guinea closely with a pastor there named Joseph Kingal. His ministry holds crusades every year where the gospel is preached to over 20,000 people. We had donated computers to them so they could film these crusades and create the first Christian television program in their country, but they had no one to teach them how to use the computers. They need someone with production experience to train their people to make this Christian TV show a reality.

There is only 1-2 channels on TV in Papua new guinea, so anything that we broadcast will be seen all over the entire country. This is a great opportunity to spread the gospel, and so I am going to fly down there in October to help them accomplish this vision. I will be training 6 or more of their native people in media, and will be down there for close to a year as we film the crusades and begin to create some of the first Christian content in their country.

They will be providing my food and shelter while I am there, but I will still need to pay for my plane ticket and to cover my student loans and any extra expenses while I am away. If anyone wants to support me in this ministry, please contact me at soulsurge@gmail.com.

I will be flying to Los Angeles from Toronto, Canada and then from there to my final destination in Lae, Papua New Guinea. The plane ticket will cost me roughly 3000 dollars, and that is going to be the greatest expense that I will have to pay, so any money given will go directly to that cost.

I will continue to update you on this blog, so you can take part in what I am doing over the next year, and so you can pray for me and this ministry I am soon entering into.

Jeremy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jeremy,

Just read your post, am blessed because I am one of those many PNGeans who watch the broadcast of many of the Lord's servant,Joseph Kingal crusade. I want to thank you for you input in blessing hearts of many as me by making this program a lineup on out local TV station EMTV.

God Bless...He knows your needs..He is Jehova Jaira, He will provide.

Mrs Louise Ninawale